While waiting for your plants to make an appearance above the ground, do this science experiment to see what is happening beneath the ground.
What You Need:
- Clear plastic cup
- Seeds (use seeds left over from planting your garden)
- Sunny windowsill
What You Do:
- Fill the cup about 3/4 full with soil.
- Press the seeds down in the soil right next to the plastic so that they are easily visible. Make sure to spread the seeds out a little bit to give them some growing room.
- Add water to the cup until the soil is moist and place the cup in a sunny windowsill.
- Check on your seeds daily (watering as needed) and look for any changes that may have occurred from the previous day.
What did you see after one day, two days, three days? By the third day, at least one of your seeds should have started to change in appearance. You may have seen a green stem start to poke out. How long does it take for the stem to reach the surface? How does the timing of these seeds appearing above ground compare with the seeds in your garden?