What makes Happy Atoms different?
Magnetic physical pieces AND a top-rated digital app.
Kids can build, scan, identify, and explore molecules!
With Happy Atoms Introductory, students use 17 atoms representing 6 elements to build 508 molecules!
What makes these atoms so happy?
While atoms don't have emotions, they do have observable behaviors. And atoms tend to be more stable (happy) with certain numbers of electrons.
Where do they find extra electrons if they need more to be happy? From other atoms that have too many electrons, of course! When atoms share or exchange electrons to be happy, they stick together. Happy atoms form molecules!
With the Happy Atoms Introductory Set, kids first build models using magnetic connectors. Next they scan and identify molecules using the free app. Finally, students discover molecular usage, hazards, formula, and more.
What’s included in the Happy Atoms Introductory Set?
- 17 atoms
- 6 elements
- 73 activities
- 508 possible molecules
- 16-page instruction guide & experiment manual
- Periodic Table of the Elements poster
What can kids do with the Happy Atoms app?
- Explore molecular properties, composition & structure
- Take guided quests to discover & learn about new molecules
- Collect sets of molecules they've built & explored
- Use it as a fun, interactive chemistry curriculum
Who should use Happy Atoms?
- Homeschool families & chemistry classrooms
- Middle school through college students
- People who find chemistry complicated or abstract
- People who can't get enough of chemistry
How are molecules built with Happy Atoms?
- Rubbery arms with magnetic tips represent free electrons
- Magnetic sites on the spheres represent empty spots in the atom’s outermost electron shell
- Snap the metal tips (electrons) to the magnetic bonding sites
- Atoms include correct number of free electrons and empty bonding sites, making it hard to build a molecule that isn't real
NOTE: The Happy Atoms app is supported by both Android and IOS.
MORE INFORMATION BOX
- Sample Lesson Plans (PDF download)
- System requirements iOS 8 or greater. Download the Happy Atoms app from the App Store. Support for Android devices by Fall of 2017.
Happy Atoms Introductory Set Contents:
- Quickstart Instruction Guide & Experiment Manual
- Periodic Table Poster
- 8 Hydrogen Atoms
- 3 Carbon Atoms
- 2 Nitrogen Atoms
- 2 Oxygen Atoms
- 1 Sodium Atom
- 1 Chlorine Atom
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More