Please Note: This product was updated in November 2019.
The Levenhuk Skyline Travel Sun 70 mm Refractor Telescope offers a low-cost option with rewarding views for beginning astronomy. It is suitable for both celestial and terrestrial viewing, since it delivers an upright (though mirrored) image. It is also very portable with an included backpack, yet sturdy and easy to use. The high quality optics provide enjoyable viewing for significantly less money than most 60 mm or 70 mm telescopes. Finally, this refractor comes with a solar filter which can be used, with the appropriate precautions, for solar observations.
The maximum theoretical magnification is 140x, but the key to good astronomical viewing is not high magnification but greater light gathering ability. This 70 mm f/5.7 telescope has a light grasp 100 times the light of the unaided human eye and 36% more light than a 60 mm reflector telescope. More light means you will see more stars and galaxies and greater detail of the moon and planets.
Don't make the mistake of buying a telescope for the high magnification advertised. Many low-priced telescopes boast magnification of over 500x, which is totally unusable for three reasons.
- First, the theoretical magnification for any telescope is limited by aperture (primary lens or mirror) diameter. The maximum theoretical magnification is 120x for a 60 mm telescope and 228x for a 114 mm telescope.
- Second, atmospheric conditions limit magnification to 200-250x on the very best of nights even with very large telescopes.
- Third, the low quality optics on most inexpensive telescopes do not produce a clear, sharp image even at lower magnifications.
Most night sky observing is done in the range of 25x-150x.
CAUTION! Never look directly at the Sun without a special protective solar filter, or permanent eye damage may result!
From the Manufacturer
Levenhuk Skyline Travel Sun 70 Telescope is a compact refractor for long walks and traveling. It features a 40 cm long optical tube and a 70 mm aperture. The kit includes a convenient branded backpack large enough for a telescope, a mount, a tripod and all necessary accessories. This optical tool is suitable for observing planets and satellites, and also for viewing landscapes and architecture to the smallest detail. In ideal weather conditions you will be able to observe most of the Messier objects (details will be invisible), the Cassini Division, the rings of Saturn and the Great Red Spot of Jupiter.
This portable refractor comes with a special protective solar filter. In fine weather, you can perform solar observations and see the sunspots with your own eyes. You must be very careful when observing solar activity. Always make sure a solar filter is securely attached to the telescope tube. The filter must tightly fit the optical tube and completely cover the objective lens. When observing the Sun, cover the finder scope with a protective cap or remove the finder scope to prevent accidental damage to your eyes.
The kit includes a diagonal mirror that delivers an upright (undistorted) image. Therefore, the telescope is suitable for terrestrial observations as well – it can be used as a powerful spotting scope. The kit also includes 67x and 20x eyepieces, a 3x Barlow lens and a solar filter. Highest practical power of this telescope is 140x. A convenient 5x24 finder scope allows for quick navigating for an observed object on the night sky.
Levenhuk Skyline Travel Sun 70 is a telescope with a shortened and lightweight optical tube. It is installed on an altazimuth mount with manual control. The telescope moves along vertical and horizontal axes with the help of a convenient handle. This optical tool does not require setup – just assemble it and you can start observing. You can adjust the height of an aluminum tripod from 40 cm to 125 cm so astronomers of any height can use this tripod.
MORE INFORMATION BOX
- For more detailed information, take a peek at this user's manual from the manufacturer!
- White Light Solar filter
- Refractory optical design
- 70mm objective lens diameter
- 140x maximum theoretical magnification
- 700mm focal length, f/5.71 focal ratio
- Upright image 5x24 finder scope provides large field-of-view image
- Achromatic fully-coated 6mm (67x) and 20mm (20x) 1.25-inch eyepieces provide clear, sharp images with 52° field-of-view
- Sturdy aluminum adjustable tripod (15.8-49.2 inches)
- Altazimuth AZ mount
- Aluminum telescope optical tube
- Removable 3x Barlow lens provides increased magnification at the cost of image quality
- 45 Degree Diagonal mirror
- User manual and lifetime warranty
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More