The StarBlast 6 Astro Telescope is highly portable yet provides great astronomical views usually only achieved with larger telescopes.
This 6" f/5.0 Orion StarBlast 6 telescope has a tabletop design and a light grasp of 27.4 square inches, which is 80% more light than a 114mm (4.5in) reflector telescope. More light means you'll see more stars and galaxies and greater detail of the moon and planets.
The Orion StarBlast 6 telescope has a compact Dobsonian-style mount that is simple to use--just rotate the swivel base and pivot the telescope to aim it effortlessly at any night sky object. Then, simply apply gentle pressure on the telescope to keep the object in view as the earth rotates and the object location changes.
The StarBlast 6 was designed specifically for visual observation of astronomical objects in the night sky. Like all Newtonian reflector telescopes, this Astro reflector telescope is not suited for daytime terrestrial usage because the image in the eyepiece is inverted (rotated 180°). The eyepiece will also be too low to the ground for comfortable viewing when pointed near the horizon.
Learn about a wide variety of celestial objects with this high-quality Orion StarBlast 6 telescope! Peer into dark skies to investigate the rings of Saturn and the bands of Jupiter; take a glimpse of deep-sky objects like nebula, globular star clusters, and galaxies; and so much more. To find deep-sky objects in the sky, it is best to consult astronomy software such as Starry Night software, a star chart, or a Planisphere. These guides will help you locate the brightest and best deep-sky objects for viewing with your StarBlast 6.
The deluxe Sirius Plossl multi-coated 25mm and 10mm 1.25" eyepieces provide sharp images and magnification of 30x and 75x, respectively. Other features include a 6-inch parabolic mirror, 750mm focal length, rack-and-pinion focuser, steel tube with enamel finish, and red dot finder scope. The base is fully assembled and easy-to-understand instructions are included; see the link below for a downloadable PDF of the included instructions! One-year warranty.
For help finding the telescope that's right for you, see our Selecting a Telescope guide.
Telescope Magnification: Don't make the mistake of buying a telescope for the high magnification advertised. Many low-priced telescopes boast magnification of over 500x, which is totally unusable for three reasons.
- First, the theoretical magnification for any telescope is limited by aperture (primary lens or mirror) diameter. The maximum theoretical magnification is 120x for a 60mm telescope and 228x for a 114mm telescope.
- Second, atmospheric conditions limit magnification to 200-250x on the very best of nights even with very large telescopes.
- Third, the low quality optics on most inexpensive telescopes do not produce a clear, sharp image even at lower magnifications.
Most night sky observing is done in the range of 25x-150x. The Orion telescopes we offer have excellent optics at these magnification levels, even up to 250x, ensuring you will enjoy your night sky viewing.
NOTE: This product may be ineligible for some promotions.
MORE INFORMATION BOX
- 150mm (6 inch) diameter parabolic mirror
- 750mm focal length, f/5.0
- Focal ratio: f/5.0
- 27.4 sq. in. light grasp
- 300x maximum theoretical magnification (based on 2x the mirror diameter in mm)
- Deluxe 25 mm and 10mm Sirius Plossl telescope eyepieces that are multicoated and 1.25"; they provide very clear, sharp images and magnifications of 48x and 12-x, respectively
- High-quality aiming device: EZ Finder II red-dot finder scope/reflex sight that provides a 10° field-of-view with upright image
- 1.25" rack-and-pinion focuser
- Center-marked, light gathering primary mirror at the rear of the optical tube allows you to keep the mirrors fully collimated for best image quality
- Secondary mirror is located near the opening of the optical tube and reflects the focused light from the primary mirror into the eyepiece
- Easy-to-use compact Dobsonian-style mount is perfect for kids--just rotate the swivel base and aim at any night sky object--includes Teflon/nylon mount bearings for smooth operation
- Mount includes an eyepiece rack and convenient carrying handle
- Optional Moon filter make the Moon dimmer when it is very bright
- Rugged 750mm (28") aluminum tube with enamel finish
- Includes instructions
- Includes Starry Night Special Edition astronomy software for PC or Mac that provides access to 1 million star and deep space objects plus the SkyTheatre DVD which provides a 102 minute tour through our solar system ($69.90 value)
- Stands 30" tall and weighs 24 lbs.
- Limited warranty: One year warranty, Orion Telescopes model StarBlast 6'' Astro Telescope
- Best for viewing brighter deep sky
- Best for imaging lunar & planetary
- Beginner user level
- Altazimuth mount type
- Optical tube is 28.0 inches long
- Features a navigation knob, an altitude tension knob, collimation cap, pre-assembled base, and more!
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More