Thames & Kosmos CodeGamer lets you learn to code by playing a video game.
An Arduino-compatible gamepad connects wirelessly to your tablet or smartphone. Using the gamepad and four interchangeable sensor modules, play through a video game app. In each level of the game, you must learn a piece of the Arduino programming language. Then you use your new knowledge to solve puzzles and challenges and advance in the game. You'll learn coding basics just by playing the game!
Soon you'll be writing programs on your computer using the four sensors and inventing new applications. Follow instructions in the 64-page, full-color experiment manual to create 34 cool projects. Build a light-sensitive drawer alarm, a LED disco light that reacts to the movements of your fingers, and more.
With Thames & Kosmos CodeGamer, discover gaming, coding, and making. For gaming, use sensors to control the game with this innovative gamepad. With coding, you'll solve puzzles and challenges in the game to learn the Arduino programming language. You'll be making as you write your own programs and develop new applications for the sensors.
GAMING: Connect the physical and digital worlds! Use the gamepad to play through 15 fun game levels on your tablet. Plug one of the four sensorbots into the gamepad to activate its special powers.
- The sensorbot named Kelvin melts ice blocks when you warm its temperature sensor with your hand.
- The Decibels sensorbot will assist you if you trigger its sound sensor with noise.
- Lumen reveals things hidden in dark spaces when you shine light on its light sensor.
- Newton will force its way through obstacles in your path if you shake the touch sensor.
- Level Editor: Design and create your own game levels, share them, and access other players' levels.
CODING: Level by level, learn the basics of the Arduino programming language!
- Solve increasingly complex Arduino puzzles.
- Discover which program commands make the LEDs on your gamepad blink and the sound module activate.
- Learn how your gamepad works and how you can configure it yourself.
MAKING: Apply your new programming knowledge in cool projects!
- Use the sensors in new applications to bring your own ideas to life.
- Use the light sensor to count how many times a drawer is opened or program an alarm system that sends you messages.
- Enter the digital maker's world and unleash your creativity.
- 2017 Tech Toy of the Year winner
- Spielwarenmesse Toy Award Winner
- Toy Insider Tech 12 Award 2016
- Parents' Choice Gold Award Winner
Thames & Kosmos CodeGamer contents:
- Arduino-compatible microcontroller (with Bluetooth)
- rotary control wheel
- circuit board
- gamepad housing
- two push buttons
- motion sensor
- temperature sensor
- sound sensor
- light sensor
- parts for projects
- CodeGamer App
Requires a tablet or smartphone running iOS or Android®.
Thames & Kosmos CodeGamer device requirements:
You need a smartphone or tablet and a computer with Internet access. Compatible with all smartphones and tablets using iOS 7 and Android 4.3 and later. The device must support Bluetooth 4 or higher.
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More