Add water to this agar powder and sterilize it, if desired, for a pure agar base (no nutrients added). This container makes about 200 ml of agar solution - enough to cover 15 standard 90-100 mm petri dishes (not included).
Try This Fun Recipe: *Makes 100 ml of nutrient agar solution - enough to cover 7-9 standard 90-100 mm petri dishes.
- Mix 1 level teaspoon of dehydrated agar with 100 ml (3/8 cup) of room-temperature water.
- Bring to a boil while stirring to ensure the agar is completely dissolved.
- Pour 10-12 ml of hot agar into each petri dish, just covering the bottom.
- Replace the dish top immediately after pouring to prevent contamination.
- Let dishes stand for 1 hour, allowing agar to solidify.
- This agar can be sterilized in a pressure cooker before pouring into the sterile plastic dishes. Use 15 lb. pressure for 15 minutes.
- This agar does not have nutrients added to it; however, since it's an organic substance (made from seaweed), it's a medium that encourages bacteria growth. You can mix a little chicken broth with the agar if you want to add more nutrients!
- We provide more information about how to use agar & petri dishes
MORE INFORMATION BOX
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More