All the food in the world is of no use if the human body can't extract necessary nutrients from it. Students learn about digestion as they expose three nutrients (carbohydrates, proteins, and lipids) to different digestive enzymes. These samples will be compared to nutrients to which no enzymes are added and chemical tests will be used to determine if the enzymes were effective in digesting the compounds. Upon completion, students will not only understand the importance of the digestive system but also the vital role enzymes play in releasing nutrients from food and converting them to a form usable by the body. This Enzymes and the Process of Digestion kit contains enough material for 15 groups of students. A teacher's manual and reproducible student study guide are included.
Safety gear, specifically gloves, goggles, and apron, are recommended. You provide test tubes, test tube rack, hot plate, beakers, labeling tape, markers, and distilled water.
NOTE: This product may be ineligible for some promotions.
WARNING: This product can expose you to Phenolphthalein, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer.
MORE INFORMATION BOX
Enzymes and the Process of Digestion Kit
- 1 X 5.25 g Pancreatin, Bile Salts
- 1 X 2.5 g Albumin Egg Powder
- 1 X 2.5g Starch, Soluble
- 1 X 1.0 g Pepsin 1:10,000
- 1 X 0.25 g Amylase Bacteriological Powder
- 1 X 25 ml Sodium Hydroxide 0.1 N
- 1 X 25 ml Hydrochloric Acid 0.1N
- 1 X 25ml Biuret for Protein Test
- 1 X 25 ml Phenolphthalein 1% IPA
- 1 X 25 ml Dilute Lugol's Solution
- 1 X 25 ml Olive Oil, Pure
- 10 Pipettes, plastic, graduated
- Teacher's manual and reproducible student study guide
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More