We know eating food provides our bodies with nutrients—but how? Find out with the Enzymes and the Process of Digestion Kit.
All the food in the world is useless if the human body can't extract necessary nutrients from it. Discover how the digestive system works and how enzymes help unlock nutrients from food and convert them into usable forms.
First, students expose three nutrients (carbohydrates, proteins, and lipids) to different digestive enzymes. Then they compare samples to nutrients without added enzymes. Finally, kids conduct chemical tests to check how effective the enzymes were in digesting the compounds.
From Innovating Science, the Enzymes and the Process of Digestion Kit has enough materials for 5 groups. Teacher’s Manual and Student Study Guide copymasters are included.
You provide glass test tubes with stoppers, test tube rack, hot plate, beakers, labeling tape, and distilled water.
WARNING: This product can expose you to Phenolphthalein, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer.
MORE INFORMATION BOX
Enzymes and the Process of Digestion Kit
- 1 x 5.2 g Starch, soluble
- 1 x 1.0 g Pepsin 1:10,000
- 1 x 0.25 g Amylase bacteriological powder
- 1 x 10 ml Sodium hydroxide 0.1N
- 1 x 10 ml Hydrochloric acid 0.1N
- 1 x 10 ml Biuret for protein Test
- 1 x 10 ml Phenolphthalein 1% Ipa
- 1 x 10 ml Iki dilute Lugols Ssolution
- 1 x 10 ml Olive oil, pure
- 10 per kit Pipette, plastic, graduated
- Teacher's manual and reproducible student study guide
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More