Unlock the world of Ancient Organisms with this Launch level Science Unlocked curriculum kit!
Ancient Organisms: Understanding the Past to Understand Now is an exciting experience for developing Paleontologists and historians. Additionally, students will understand the relationship between organisms based on anatomical similarities seen in fossils, embryos, and other modern organisms.
The kit includes a full-color student curriculum workbook and teacher guide, with detailed, step-by-step instructions for seven activities designed to engage your student in fossils. The student experience has inquiry-based activities and assessments designed to enhance your students understanding of fossils and how fossils are used to teach us about the past as well as connect the past to the present. This kit will take just minutes to set up, but provide over 15 hours of learning and fun! Both the teacher and student can jump right in and follow the student workbook and teacher guide.
In this kit, the student will engage in these fun activities:
- Testing a set of samples to determine which are fossils and which are not.
- Discover the characteristics of fossils by creating their own model of an ancient organism.
- Create their own trace fossil to test for anatomical similarities.
- Demonstrate their understanding of organism relatedness by creating an embryology model.
- Learn about the two types of fossil dating and test their understanding with a hands-on example for each type.
- Build two fossil records.
- Sort organisms based on phenotypes and build a phylogenetic tree based on student-led research.
The included teacher guide, full-color student curriculum workbook, and various activities provide hours of learning and education. Use this Ancient Organisms lab kit to answer questions such as:
- What is a fossil?
- What can we learn from the different types of fossils?
- How do fossils help us understand relatedness among modern organisms?
- Is there more to relatedness than what we can see?
Having trouble deciding which Science Unlocked curriculum is right for your student? Let us help you pick your kits! Simply take our Science Unlocked quiz to discover which kits we recommend for you and your student. Science Unlocked is uniquely designed to accommodate all levels of learning. There's a kit for everyone!
This kit contains:
- Bag of samples
- Box of toothpicks
- Packing peanuts
- Pie pan
- Plaster powder
- Shrink film
- Tongue depressors
You will also need:
- Baking sheet
- Clear tape
- Permanent markers
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More