The Science Unlocked Accelerate level curriculum kit, Contain Your Excitement: Changes in Matter and Mass, is packed with exciting and engaging activities! Bag up your excitement for chemistry with this kit to learn what happens to matter during physical and chemical changes. Perform a colorful reaction in a bag, compare the mass before and after a series of experiments, model particles with paper dots, and learn how the conservation of mass is related to fossil fuels.
"Contain Your Excitement" comes with a full-color Student Curriculum Workbook and a Teacher Guide. It is a phenomenon-based approach, designed to fully engage students in the science of chemical reactions. Through a series of experiments, students will learn what happens to matter and mass during chemical reactions and physical changes and how they can represent those changes on a particle level.
As part of a special program from Home Science Tools, this Accelerate level kit will provide over 11 hours of engaging instruction, helping your student gain knowledge and confidence while doing real science.
In this kit, the student will do these activities and more:
- Mix calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate in a bag and observe the result
- Learn how to identify physical and chemical properties and changes
- Perform several experiments to find out what happens to mass during physical and chemical changes
- Use paper dots to represent particles in different types and state of matter as well as before and after changes
- Predict the amount of carbon dioxide gas released by burning fossil fuels.
Use "Contain Your Excitement" to answer questions such as:
- How can you tell if a chemical reaction is happening?
- What happens to particles during a chemical reaction?
- What is the law of conservation of mass and what does it have to do with chemical reactions?
- How are physical and chemical changes represented at a particle level?
- How are fossil fuels related to the law of conservation of mass?
Our Contain Your Excitement kit is a part of the Science Unlocked Accelerate series and is recommended for grades 3-7.
Having trouble deciding which Science Unlocked curriculum is right for your student? Let us help you pick your kits! Simply take our Science Unlocked quiz to discover which kits we recommend for you and your student. Science Unlocked is uniquely designed to accommodate all levels of learning. There's a kit for everyone!
Interested in learning more? Check out our Student Workbook Sample and Teacher Guide Sample!
This kit contains:
- Alka-Seltzer tablets, pack of 2
- Aluminum pie plate, 5"
- Aluminum pie plate, 9"
- Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), 50 g
- Bromothymol blue, 100 mL
- Calcium chloride, 10 g
- Drawing paper, 9" X 12"
- Goggles, adult size
- Lighter, long reach
- Pipet, 3 mL
- Plastic graduated cup, 8 fl. oz. (2)
- Plastic vial, 10 mL
- Plastic zip-close bag, 5" X 7" (2)
- Salt packet, 0.6 g (4)
- Spring scale, 100 g/1 N
- Steel wool
You will also need:
- Oven or hot plate
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More