Crash into this Science Unlocked physics curriculum kit! The Accelerate level kit, Controlling Collisions: Energy Transfer and Design, will allow your student to learn how materials and the structure of design impact the ability to withstand collisions.
Students will explore and discover the connection between potential energy and kinetic energy using a simple ramp, experiment with materials to decide how they act in a collision, and design a solution that can minimize the force of impact on a car model. "Controlling Collisions" comes with a full-color Student Curriculum Workbook and Teacher Guide. It is a phenomenon-based approach, designed to fully engage students in the science of colliding objects. Through a series of experiments, students will learn how damage from crashes happens and how it can be minimized. As part of a special program from Home Science Tools, this Accelerate level kit will provide over 14 hours of engaging instruction, helping your student gain knowledge and confidence while doing real science.
In this kit, the student will do all these activities:
- See what a golf ball really looks like when it's hit
- Find out how the starting height affects the force of impact at the end of a ramp
- Explore the differences in the two major types of collisions
- Observe how the type of material changes the result of an impact
- Take a crash course in how engineers design solutions for controlling energy transfer in collisions
- Use the engineering process to design a device that minimizes the damage from a crash
- Why do collisions cause damage?
- How is collision damage affected by materials and design?
- How does starting height change the result of a collision with the ground?
- What kinds of energy are involved in collisions?
- How can people and property be protected from collision damage?
Our Controlling Collisions kit is a part of the Science Unlocked Accelerate series and is recommended for grades 3-7.
This kit contains:
- Balsa wood
- Cotton balls, 12-count
- Dowel, 1/4 inch (2)
- Dowel, 1/8 inch (2)
- Foam ball
- Foam cup (2)
- Masking tape
- Modeling dough (2)
- Packing peanuts, 10-count
- Ping-pong ball
- Plastic wheel (4)
- Plastic zip-close bag, 5x8 inches (2)
- Rubber ball
- Steel ball
- Wood ball
You will also need:
- pen or marker
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More