The Fizz, Foam, and Fire Kit is an exciting experience brought to you by Home Science Tools' Science Unlocked curriculum kit for young scientists!
Upon opening the box, students will immediately jump into scientific experiments and activities such as making Elephant Toothpaste, exploring endothermic and exothermic reactions, engaging in experimental design, and extinguishing a candle flame with the product of a chemical reaction.
The curriculum kit includes a full-color student curriculum workbook that is supported by a detailed teacher guide with step-by-step instructions for all of the hands-on activities, plus practice problems, opportunities for data analysis, and ideas to extend learning! The inquiry-based student learning experience allows students to practice their skills of observation, experimentation, problem-solving, analysis, evaluation, and reflection right out of the box. These are skills that real-life scientists and engineers use! The exciting curriculum kit will take just minutes to set up but offers eight hours (or more!) of learning and fun. Both the teacher and student can simply jump right in and follow the student worksheet and teacher guide.
In this kit, the student will engage in these fun activities:
- Make "elephant toothpaste" from hydrogen peroxide, yeast, and dish soap
- Design an experiment to find the optimal ratio of citric acid and baking soda to get the maximum fizz and temperature change
- Explore physical and chemical changes by performing several mini-experiments
- Put out a candle flame with the product of a chemical reaction
- Choose from various next steps to learn even more about chemical reactions, including decomposing baking soda and finding a catalyst in a potato
- What is the difference between a physical change and a chemical change?
- What are some ways to tell if a chemical reaction has happened?
- What are some examples of endothermic and exothermic reactions?
- How is a chemical equation written?
- How can a chemical reaction be used to solve a real-life problem? And more!
WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD - This kit contains small parts. Adult supervision is required. WARNING: This kit contains isopropyl alcohol, which is listed as a hazardous substance. Adult supervision is required.
This kit contains:
- citric acid, 30 g
- baking soda, 1 lb
- 6% hydrogen peroxide, 30 mL
- dish soap, 15 mL
- yeast, 1 packet
- 25-mL plastic graduated cylinder
- 500-mL plastic beaker
- 5 mL (1 tsp) measuring scoop
- plastic stir rod
- 2 plastic pipets
- 1 bottle food coloring
- pie plate
- tea light candle
- box of 32 matches
You will also need:
- Paper Towels
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More