The size of a sheep heart is similar to that of a human heart, making it a great dissection specimen for studying both internal and external anatomy of the heart.
This plain preserved specimen of an adult sheep heart can be used instead of a cow's heart for dissection labs.
With a scalpel in hand, elementary, middle, and high school students can learn so much about a sheep heart's internal anatomy. They'll discover the placements of parts such as the:
- right atrium & left atrium,
- right ventricle & left ventricle,
- aortic semilunar valve, bicuspid valve & tricuspid valve,
- interventricular spectrum,
- chordae tendineae,
- pulmonary vein, pulmonary artery & pulmonary trunk,
- papillary muscles,
- inferior vena cava,
- blood vessels,
- and more!
Heart dissection reveals the intricacies required of a heart to pump blood. This hands-on experience shows students the differences between and roles of the right side of the heart and the left side of the heart in a memorable way.
Note: Preserved sheep heart specimens are initially treated with a formaldehyde solution, the best animal tissue fixative. The formaldehyde is then displaced, first with water and then with a glycol solution, to produce a moist, low-fume specimen which will not decay over time.
HST Specimen Guarantee
In sealed, original packaging, our preserved specimens are guaranteed to remain fully preserved and free of decay for six months from the date of purchase.
Once the original package is opened, use specimen within one month. For best results, observe the following storage procedures:
- Store specimen in heavy-duty, zip-lock bags to minimize drying between dissections.
- Specimen will slowly dry out or become contaminated in zip-lock bags; add a teaspoon of Specimen Holding Fluid to retain moisture.
- Freezing or refrigeration is not necessary and may damage fragile tissues.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including Formaldehyde, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, and Methanol, which is known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm.
MORE INFORMATION BOX
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More