Do you know what plants need to grow? The Accelerate level Science Unlocked curriculum kit How's it Growin'? is an engaging experience providing several easy plant science experiments and STEM activities for a developing botanist.
Students will learn about the plant life cycle by growing seeds, the resources a plant needs to survive, and to what lengths a plant will go to get to those resources. Additionally, students will demonstrate seed germination by growing and testing a series of plants to see if their newfound knowledge is true! The kit includes a full-color student curriculum workbook and detailed teacher guide, with detailed step-by-step instructions for six activities designed to engage your students in studying a plant's required resources. Your student's experience has inquiry-based activities and assessments designed to enhance your student's understanding of the resources a plant requires to grow and survive. This kit will take just minutes to set up, but provides over 8 hours of learning, lesson plans, and fun science experiments! Both the teacher and student can jump right in, following the student curriculum workbook and teacher guide.
In this kit, the student will engage in these fun activities:
- Observing a phenomenon in plant growth
- Plant seeds and design their own maze for a plant to grow through
- Use a number of seeds to grow a set of plants to use for multiple activities throughout the kit
- Organize leaves based on their venation, shape, and edging to determine possible ecosystems the leaf's plant would be found in
- Test and observe respiration of a leaf
- Sample the impact of a leaf on water flow
- Set up and test the true necessity of the three resources a plant needs - sunlight, water, and air
- Create a test using the scientific method and journaling to discover the phenomenon of a plant growing through a maze.
This kit comes with a full-color teacher guide and a reproducible student workbook. Use this How's it Growin'? kit to answer questions such as:
- Why do plants need light, water, and air to survive?
- What is the relationship between carbon dioxide and plants?
- Can an artificial light source be used in seed germination?
- To what lengths will a plant go to obtain the necessary resources for growth and survival?
- What is plant respiration?
- How do photosynthesis and phototropism work?
This home school science kit is a perfect launch pad for your middle school level student to dive into botany. The science activities included are helpful to begin thinking of science fair project ideas to demonstrate the growth of plants.
Our How's it Growin'? kit is a part of the Science Unlocked Accelerate series and is recommended for grades 3-7.
Having trouble deciding which Science Unlocked curriculum is right for your student? Let us help you pick your kits! Simply take our Science Unlocked quiz to discover which kits we recommend for you and your student. Science Unlocked is uniquely designed to accommodate all levels of learning. There's a kit for everyone!
This kit contains:
- Box, 9X6X4
- 5 cups, 8oz each
- Green cellophane sheet
- Pack of leaves
- Masking tape, 0.94” X 40yds roll
- Pea seeds, pack
- Peat moss
- Pie plate, 5” diameter
- Ruler, 30cm
You will also need:
- Art supplies
- Plate or plastic bin
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More