The ultimate bug catcher set for your bug collector!
Using this complete bug collection kit, your amateur entomologist can go on their very own backyard safaris! Using the tools and supplies inside, they will:
- capture bugs and critters with a high-quality net,
- observe them up close with a magnifying glass,
- identify them using the hundreds of photos in the Golden Guides from St. Martin's Press,
- and mount them in a glass-fronted display case!
Little hands will love transforming their crawling collectibles into their own DIY bug displays!
As they work on their collections, your curious bug catchers will use this science kit to make their own discoveries about the fascinating variety of insects and their different lifecycles and behaviors. Please note that backpack colors may vary.
A great gift for any insect enthusiast, this outdoor explorer kit and bug catching kit is sure to entertain your kiddos for hours on end. Let the backyard explorations begin!
Expand the 'Contents' tab below for a complete list of included items, and scroll even lower to see customer reviews; there's a reason this bug collection kit has 5-stars!
MORE INFORMATION BOX
- Insect pinning instructions (PDF format)
Insect Collector's Backpack Kit
- Nature Backpack - Your kids can carry all their insect-collecting tools in this comfortable pack. Its multiple pockets provide places for field guides, an insect net, and more. Padded shoulder straps and back.
- How to Make Insect Collections - This short guide explains how to collect, preserve, and display insects.
- Spiders and Their Kin Golden Guide - This introduction to the diverse yet little-known world of spiders is packed with concise, accurate information with full-color pictures.
- Butterflies and Moths Golden Guide - This guide illustrates in full color 423 of the most common, widespread, important, or unusual North American species of Lepidoptera.
- Insect Net - This all-purpose insect net with an 18" wooden handle and 24"-deep net bag is a necessary tool for an entomologist of any age!
- Insect Exhibit Case - This high-quality 8" x 12" case with a glass cover and foam pinning board is excellent for displaying and protecting preserved insects.
- Insect Killing Jar - This jar has a plaster cartridge in the bottom and requires only a few drops of ethyl acetate to be effective even for large insects. (Rubbing alcohol can also be used, although it's weaker and will work slower, which can result in wing damage on delicate insects such as butterflies.)
- Insect Pinning Forceps - These stainless steel forceps are helpful when handling or pinning fragile or tiny insects.
- Insect Pins - 100 pack of student quality black pins that work well for pinning most insects for display.
- Insect Spreading Board - This sturdy styrofoam board is perfect for spreading butterfly wings in an open position before mounting in a display case.
- Double Lens Magnifier - The fold-out lenses of this pocket-sized magnifier provide 5x and 10x views of wings, eyes, and other intricate details of insects and butterflies.
- 6" Ruler - A tool to compare specimen sizes and take measurements to help with identification.
- Collecting Vials - These 12 small, clear plastic vials with secure caps are perfect for carrying and storing small insects.
- Specimen Collection Bags - Use these 15 plastic ziplock bags of varying sizes for collecting larger insects or samples of their surroundings.
- Instructions - Our instructions explain how to use the net and spreading board, plus include tips on collecting, identifying, mounting, and labeling insects.
- This kit is packaged in an environmentally-friendly white cardboard box.
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More