The ultimate kit for your bug collector! Using this complete insect collecting kit, your amateur entomologist can capture bugs with a high-quality net, observe them up close with a magnifying glass, identify them using the hundreds of photos in the Insects Audubon guide, and mount them in a glass-fronted display case. As they work on their collection, kids will make their own discoveries about the fascinating variety of insects and their different lifecycles and behaviors. Backpack colors may vary.
MORE INFORMATION BOX
- Insect pinning instructions (PDF format)
Insect Collector's Backpack Kit
- Nature Backpack - Your kids can carry all their insect-collecting tools in this comfortable pack. Its multiple pockets provide places for field guides, an insect net, and more. Padded shoulder straps and back.
- How to Make Insect Collections - This short guide explains how to collect, preserve, and display insects.
- Insects & Spiders Audubon Guide - The 700 stunning color photographs and silhouette key provide plenty of information to identify and learn about bugs, butterflies, spiders, and other arthropods.
- Insect Net - This all-purpose insect net with an 18" wooden handle and 24"-deep net bag is a necessary tool for an entomologist of any age!
- Insect Exhibit Case - This high-quality 8" x 12" case with a glass cover and foam pinning board is excellent for displaying and protecting preserved insects.
- Insect Killing Jar - This jar has a plaster cartridge in the bottom and requires only a few drops of ethyl acetate to be effective even for large insects. (Rubbing alcohol can also be used, although it's weaker and will work slower, which can result in wing damage on delicate insects such as butterflies.)
- Insect Pinning Forceps - These stainless steel forceps are helpful when handling or pinning fragile or tiny insects.
- Insect Pins - 100 pack of student quality black pins that work well for pinning most insects for display.
- Insect Spreading Board - This sturdy styrofoam board is perfect for spreading butterfly wings in an open position before mounting in a display case.
- Double Lens Magnifier - The fold-out lenses of this pocket-sized magnifier provide 5x and 10x views of wings, eyes, and other intricate details of insects and butterflies.
- 6" Ruler - A tool to compare specimen sizes and take measurements to help with identification.
- Collecting Vials - These 12 small, clear plastic vials with secure caps are perfect for carrying and storing small insects.
- Specimen Collection Bags - Use these 15 plastic ziplock bags of varying sizes for collecting larger insects or samples of their surroundings.
- Instructions - Our instructions explain how to use the net and spreading board, plus include tips on collecting, identifying, mounting, and labeling insects.
- This kit is packaged in an environmentally-friendly white cardboard box.
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More