Light works in wondrous ways! The Light Trap is an Accelerate level Science Unlocked curriculum kit for the student interested in studying the science of light with an artistic flair!
In this kit, students will investigate light's role in energy transfer and find out how pigments connect science, art, and society. In several fun science experiments and STEM activities, they'll get hands-on with some super-black paint, see how coatings are used to make things incredibly dark, explore light refraction, and use chromatography to test paint and ink!
The Light Trap comes with a full-color Student Curriculum Workbook and a detailed Teacher Guide. It uses a phenomenon-based approach, designed to fully engage students in concepts of light patterns, energy transfer, reflection and absorption, and the particle model of matter. Through a series of light science experiments, students will gain an understanding of how science and art are connected through the application of chemistry and physics. This Accelerate level kit will provide over 9 hours of learning and includes science activities that introduce your student to many foundational chemistry concepts.
The student will engage in these exciting activities:
- Paint some objects with super-black paint
- Learn about the darkest coating in the world, Vantablack®
- Shine a light on albedo by experimenting with painted objects
- See if you can make objects "disappear" using only paint
- Discover color mixing and separation (chromatography)
- Compare the chromatography "crawls" of paint and ink
Use The Light Trap to answer questions such as:
- How are science and art connected?
- How do energy and light travel?
- How are pigments used to reflect and absorb light?
- What happens when light passes through bright vs. dark surfaces?
- How do super-dark coatings work?
- Can you make a rock or piece of paper disappear?
Watch as wavelengths travel to make light bend before your eyes! This kit provides students with a fun STEM challenge by diving into rainbow science to understand how light sources are either reflected or absorbed. Students will test a variety of surfaces and coatings through a series of DIY simple science experiments and light activities. Learn how light waves refract from one surface to another and see if you can make objects disappear! You may even spark an idea for your next science fair project!
Home Science Tools offers science kids love to make learning fun!
The Light Trap kit is a part of the Science Unlocked Accelerate series and is recommended for grades 3-7.
Having trouble deciding which Science Unlocked curriculum is right for your student? Let us help you pick your kits! Simply take our Science Unlocked quiz to discover which kits we recommend for you and your student. Science Unlocked is uniquely designed to accommodate all levels of learning. There's a kit for everyone!
This kit contains:
- Student Workbook
- Teacher Guide
- Beaker, polypropylene, 100 mL
- 2 binder clips, small
- Cardstock, 8 ½ X 11”, white
- Construction paper, black
- Filter paper, 11cm, 10 pack
- 2 granite, gray-white specimen
- Isopropyl alcohol, 90%, 30 mL
- Light, small beam penlight
- Marker, black, permanent
- Paint brush
- Super-black paint, 25 mL
- Wooden splints, 5 pack
You will also need:
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More