Power of Magnets: Investigations Into Magnetic Fields and Forces is an exciting part of the Science Unlocked Accelerate level curriculum kits. Feel the pull toward this physics kit and get hands-on with magnets to find out what they can do and how they do it. Test the magnetism of burned matches, find out how many paper clips a magnetized paper clip can pick up, visualize a magnetic field with iron filings, make a three-dimensional magnetic force pyramid, and build an electromagnetic motor. "Power of Magnets" comes with a full-color Student Curriculum Workbook and a in-depth Teacher Guide. It is a phenomenon-based approach, designed to fully engage students in the science of magnetism.
Through a series of experiments, students will learn what makes a magnet a magnet (including at the subatomic level), what magnetic fields are like, how magnetic force acts on objects, and how electricity and magnetism are closely connected. As part of a special program from Home Science Tools, this Accelerate level kit will provide over 10 hours of engaging instruction, helping your student gain knowledge and confidence while doing real science.
In this kit, the student will do these activities and more:
- Test the magnetism of matches before and after burning
- Make a paper clip magnetic with a neodymium magnet
- Use iron filings to see what a magnet field "looks" like
- Build a pyramid device to observe magnetic forces acting on a central object
- Make an electromagnetic motor with just a few basic components
Use "Power of Magnets" to answer questions such as:
- Are matches magnetic?
- How can a paper clip become a magnet?
- What does a magnetic field look like?
- What does magnetic force do, and what is it affected by?
- How do electricity and magnetism interact?
Our power of Magnets kit is a part of the Science Unlocked Accelerate series and is recommended for grades 3-7.
Having trouble deciding which Science Unlocked curriculum is right for your student? Let us help you pick your kits! Simply take our Science Unlocked quiz to discover which kits we recommend for you and your student. Science Unlocked is uniquely designed to accommodate all levels of learning. There's a kit for everyone!
This kit contains:
- Aluminum pie plate, 5-inch (2)
- Battery, D type (2)
- Copper wire, 15 feet
- Dowel, 1/8" width, 12-inch length (6)
- Drawing paper, 9X12-inch
- Fishing line, 2 yards
- Iron filings, 30 grams
- Matches, outdoor only (2)
- Modeling dough
- Nail, bright finish
- Neodymium block magnet
- Neodymium disc magnet (3)
- Paper clips, box of 100
- Ring magnet, 1.14-inch
- Zip-close bag, 5X7-inch
You will also need:
- Vegetable oil or mineral oil (optional)
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More