Do you have a "rock hound" or big rock collector who's always asking you questions? "Why are rocks different colors? Why are there different kinds of rocks in different places? What are rocks made of?" Rather than using their own powers of careful observation, they can discover these answers and more with this unique rock collecting starter kit!
Have them strap on this sturdy rock hound backpack - filled with all of the science supplies you need to explore the amazing world of geology. This trusty Rock Hound's Backpack Kit is the perfect, ready-to-go rock collecting starter kit to begin or advance your earth science and geologic adventure. Your curious learner will have a blast learning the basics of mineral identification!
Until you have the right tools to examine them, the multitude of rock types, structures, and their properties can go unnoticed. The Rock Hound's Backpack Kit comes with real tools for rock collecting, testing, and identifying.
With this tool kit, your little rock hound will explore their favorite subject by:
- Using a mineral test set and hardness scale set to help with rock and mineral identification
- Using simple tools as they learn how to test for important properties of rocks and minerals, such as hardness, color streak, and more
- Using the field identification guide to identify and classify all the interesting rocks and minerals they find
- Examining the internal structures of rocks (wearing their safety goggles and using a rock pick to break apart rocks and split open the included crack-open crystal geode)
- Recording their findings in the nature notebook
- Showing off their collections in the display box
Looking for additional types of rock kits and mineral kits? Have fun cracking open more awesome geodes, or take your rock collecting a step further with the Deluxe Rock Tumbler Kit to smooth and polish your rocks! Rock hounds of all ages can conduct neat, hands-on geology science projects, as well as related DIY projects, with our diverse selection of geology-related science kits and supplies. They make for excellent Christmas gifts, birthday gifts, or even just spontaneous surprises!
Note: To keep costs low for you and encourage recycling, this kit comes packaged in a shippable, environmentally-friendly cardboard box.
See Homeschool Creations' review!
"The convenience of having everything in one backpack, easy to grab and take along on a nature hike makes this a perfect addition to our homeschool learning!" -Homeschool Creations
MORE INFORMATION BOX
Rock Hound's Backpack Kit
- Nature Backpack - Rock hounds can head out into the field with all their rock-collecting tools stored in this comfortable and compact pack. Padded shoulder straps and back.
- Rock Pick - This heavy-duty steel rock pick is a must for the serious rock collector! The head has a hammer on one end and a pointed pick on the other for chiseling off specimens.
- Safety Goggles - These goggles are important to protect kids' eyes while they're using the rock pick.
- Rock and Mineral Test Kit - Contains instructions and materials to test for properties such as color, hardness, acidity (acid not included), and magnetism. Includes a 5x/10x double-lens magnifier.
- Mineral Hardness Scale Set - This set of nine Mohs Scale of Hardness minerals lets kids test the hardness of their specimens and see how soft or hard rocks can be.
- Crack-Open Geode - Use the rock pick to discover crystals or unique mineral deposits inside.
- Nature Notebook - A small spiral-bound notebook with blank pages that is great for keeping notes, recording test results, and making drawings of rocks and minerals that are too large to collect.
- Rocks and Minerals Golden Guide - With full-color illustrations and easy-to-read text, anyone can use this guide to learn about and identify common rocks and minerals.
- Rock and Mineral Display Box - This box with 15 compartments is a great place to store or display a growing rock and mineral collection!
- Specimen Collection Bags - 15 plastic bags of varying sizes for collecting and sorting rock samples on the go (and keeping the backpack clean!).
- Instructions - Our instructions include information about the Mohs hardness scale, plus tips on collecting, identifying, and labeling rocks and minerals.
- This kit is packaged in an environmentally-friendly white cardboard box.
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More