Designed to reduce exposure to the blade, the scalpel functions like a click pen with the blade retraction button located on the grip for easy and quick retraction. The blade is made from high quality stainless steel that stays sharp longer than the average disposable blade.
No. 10 scalpels are good for general dissection work especially on smaller specimens.
PenBlade No. 10 Blade also works with lightweight and medium materials such as:
- Light cardboard
- Soft woods, including balsa wood
- Foam core board
- and More!
The trimming groove on the PenBlade No. 10 Blade easily trims thread, twine, thin ribbon, jute cord and yarn.
From the Manufacturer
PenBlade, Inc. has created a novel safety scalpel that is intuitive, ergonomic, and rigid. PenBlade is a safety scalpel with unique advantages:
- The blade extension mechanism uses existing muscle memory (that of a click pen) as opposed to a sheath-sliding motion (commonly used in safety scalpels), increasing intuitiveness and reducing chance of injury – single-hand use is easy.
- The device has an integrated groove for trimming sutures and PICCs, which eliminates chance of injury during this step (the blade is retracted when using the groove). For most kit-based suture procedures, safe suture cutting eliminates an additional blade exposure.
- Making the device safe after use does not require repositioning the hand (the blade retraction button is on the front of the device), which increases probability of blade retraction. The motion required to make the device safe is minimized.
- To our knowledge, PenBlade is the only safety scalpel that provides an option for semi passive blade retraction (hold down the button while cutting, and the blade automatically retracts when released), ensuring blade is retracted when finished.
- PenBlade has a human-factor-engineered design that dramatically improves rigidity and ergonomics (flimsiness has been a common complaint with other safety scalpels, leading to them not being used at all).
- PenBlade helps to mitigate the common low-weight complaint by offering a weight that is 50% heavier than the industry-leading plastic safety scalpel.
- This device uses a high-quality British stainless steel blade. Users have reported improved sharpness and durability compared to the leading safety scalpel currently on the market. Improved sharpness and durability mean less pressure is needed to cut, improving control and reducing chance of injury.
MORE INFORMATION BOX
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More