Blood clots are dangerous but are caused by a natural, important function of your blood. In this kit discover the negative role of blood clots in blocking blood vessels resulting in consequences like brain damage and even death. Students will test a simulated clot busting agent called "Clot-X' and take the role of a physician in:
- Analyzing patient stories to learn about their strokes and the potential for Clot-X
- Conducting simulated laboratory testing on Clot-X
- Analyzing research data on the safety and effectiveness of the drug
- Using models to design and evaluate other solutions for restoring blood flow
- Through the kit, students will be exposed to many concepts including:
- The science and symptoms of strokes
- How clot dissolving drugs work and reduce the risk of serious disability and death
- Using data, tables and graphs to understand drug risks and benefits
This kit can be completed at home or in the classroom in three to four 40 minute sessions. Alternatively, parts 1 and 3 may be assigned as homework. Kit contains a detailed Teacher Guide and Student materials.
This kit contains:
- 4 Tubes of "clotting protein"
- Artificial blood
- Tube of water
- Clot-X simulated clot buster
- Stir stick
- 4 Straws
- 4 Sponges
- 4 Brain labels
- Bag of materials to clear clogged "blood vessel"
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More