Ride the wave – of scientific knowledge, that is – with this kit that helps students understand how energy is transferred using repeating patterns. Have fun with several meaningful activities, including observing the tricks water plays on your eyes, shining light through candy, acting out types of waves, spotting waves from a microwave oven, and making your own pattern-based code. This Accelerate level kit includes a full-color student workbook and a detailed teacher guide, with step-by-step instructions for both hands-on and reading-based activities designed to engage students in the properties and applications of waves. Both teacher and student will be able to open the box and start within minutes, and the kit will provide over 11 hours of engaging learning.
In this kit, the student will engage in these fun activities:
- Discover how water, air, and light interact in some surprising ways.
- Find out how different colors of light go through different gummy candy colors.
- Explore hidden colors with diffraction grating and model the structure of a wave.
- Get hands-on with sound waves in a balloon and microwaves on special paper.
- Find out how waves send information and make your own information transfer code.
Use this Wave Wisdom lab kit to answer questions such as:
- What happens when light moves from one material to another?
- What makes light appear as different colors?
- What is a wave and what are waves like?
- What’s the difference between types of waves?
- How do people use waves?
Our Wave Wisdom kit is a part of the Science Unlocked Accelerate series and is recommended for grades 3-7.
Having trouble deciding which Science Unlocked curriculum is right for your student? Let us help you pick your kits! Simply take our Science Unlocked quiz to discover which kits we recommend for you and your student. Science Unlocked is uniquely designed to accommodate all levels of learning. There's a kit for everyone!
Interested in learning more? Check out our Student Workbook Sample and Teacher Guide Sample.
This kit contains:
- 2 Balloon, 9-inch
- 1 Battery, 9-volt
- 1 Battery cap
- 1 Black permanent marker
- 1 Diffraction grating
- 1 Gummy candy, box of assorted colors
- 1 Heat-sensitive paper, 8.5x11-inch sheet
- 2 LED bulb, green
- 2 LED bulb, red
- 2 LED bulb, white
- 1 Metal washer
- 3 Plastic cup, 16 oz
- 1 Resistor, 220 ohm
- 1 Ruler, 15-cm clear plastic
- 1 String, 25 ft
- 1 Straw
- 1 Water beads, 10-gram bag
You will also need:
- Artificial indoor light
- Colored pencils(optional)
- Microwave oven
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More