How can the breeze blowing across your face become the power that lights your home? Since wind is unpredictable, can we rely on it to operate machines? Answer these questions and more with the Wind Turbine Science Kit for kids in middle or high school.
This set is ideal for developing a science fair experiment or school project, or for exploring just for fun! You'll get to build your own model wind turbine, investigate how it works, and see it create and store power.
Here is just some of what you can do with this wind turbine kit: harness energy to make a colored light glow or motor spin; work with generators & electrical circuits; plus find out how a super-capacitor stores wind energy like a battery. Then design and test your own wind turbine blades using the materials included in the kit.
The HST Wind Turbine Science Kit:
- Offers a complete wind turbine science fair project
- Contains everything to design, test & analyze wind power
- Provides DIY fun in a one-box kit for students
- Includes an easy-to-read explanation booklet
Unlike many wind turbine science kits, ours encourages creativity and invention. How is this wind energy kit different from other one-and-done kits? It includes four blade patterns, ideas for alternate materials, and extra experiment prompts so the experiment potential is greatly expanded.
What’s included in the kit?
- Sturdy frame: PVC pipe supported by a wooden base
- Convenient size: 14" tall for easy, indoor use
- Adjustable variables: 4 blade pattern templates & 2 Styrofoam trays
- Interesting activities: 7 experiments, plus ideas for more
- Endless options: Swap Styrofoam blades for other materials
- Reproducible outcomes: 28 entry spaces on observation chart
- Measurable results: Digital multimeter for DC/AC voltage, DC current & resistance
Use the included digital multimeter to test different wind turbine blade designs. Measure voltage, amperage, and calculate power output. Extend experiments with included supplies: use the second motor, store electrical energy in the super-capacitor, or light three LED lamps with series and parallel electrical circuits.
What are the experiments?
- Simple Motor – show how a wind turbine works
- Simple Generator – generate electricity & light an LED
- Motor & Generator – use wind energy from one motor to power another
- How Much Power? – measure power output (voltage & amperage)
- Using Potential Energy – charge a capacitor & use it to power a motor
- Series & Parallel Circuits – study circuits & light up to 3 LEDs
- Double the Power? – connect two motors to the LEDs
Note: This wind turbine kit works best indoors using a fan to simulate the power of wind. Use a standing or box fan with multiple power settings. The pictured wind turbine was built from the components in this kit. Purchase extra Styrofoam trays to experiment with even more blade patterns. The Wind Turbine Science Kit includes easy-to-follow instructions and supplies for seven experiments.
What concepts are covered?
- What Wind Turbines Are
- How Wind Power Works
- Motors & Generators
- Practical Energy
- Further Study Ideas
Looking for a wind turbine science fair experiment kit? Read the experiment suggestions below.
Science Fair Project Ideas:
- How much wind energy can you store using the capacitor included in the kit? Measure the volts and amps using the multimeter.
- How much power can your turbine produce while outside on a windy day? Enough to light up an LED?
- Curious about renewable energy? Connect a solar cell in series or parallel circuit with the wind turbine. How much power is generated?
MORE INFORMATION BOX
Wind Turbine Science Kit
- Wind turbine frame (stands approximately 14" tall), made of wooden base and PVC pipe
- Digital multimeter (to test voltage and amperage)
- 2 DC (direct current) electric motors/generators
- 2 plastic propellers—push a propeller onto the top of each motor
- 4 wire leads with alligator clips
- Super capacitor (to store electrical energy)
- 3 LEDs (light-emitting diodes): red, green, and yellow
- 2 styrofoam trays (to make turbine blades)
- 4 blade pattern templates
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More