Generate up to 200,000 volts of safe electricity to experiment with electric fields and electric forces! This deluxe table-top Van de Graaff generator kit will consistently produce 5-6" sparks (12" sparks are possible!) and can raise your hair almost instantly! It comes fully assembled and includes a grounded discharge wand to begin experimenting with low-amperage electricity immediately.
The detailed operating manual explains electric fields, how the Van de Graaff generator works, how to use and maintain it for maximum performance, and several experiments, including the classic hair-raising experiment and spectacular St. Elmo's fire.
Because the current produced by this Van de Graaff generator is so low, it's safe to play with the hundreds of thousands of volts of electricity it generates! This makes a fun and very memorable scientific demonstration of the difference between voltage and current. Use this kit to create a scientific spectacle at home or in a classroom!
Robert J. Van de Graaff, a professor at MIT, invented this generator in the 1930s. A belt inside it generates static electricity, which spreads to the metal dome on top. Order a replacement belt to ensure that you never miss a moment of hair-raising static electricity fun!
MORE INFORMATION BOX
- Detailed Van de Graaff Generator operating manual explains theory of operation, care, use, maintenance, and experiments
- Discharge voltage: up to 200,000 volts
- Spark length: 5-6" typical, up to 8-12" with low humidity
- Dome diameter: 20 cm (extra large) nickel-plated steel
- Discharge ball: 6 cm diameter
- Input voltage: 110 volts
- Input power: 70 watts
- Belt: rubber
- Upper roller: nylon
- Lower roller: ABS plastic
- Column: clear acrylic
- Rugged metal base, stands 20" tall
- Home Science Tools kit with one-year limited warranty.
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More