This comprehensive Lab Kit for use with Abeka Biology Grade 10 contains the materials for your student to complete the labs in Abeka Biology Field and and Laboratory Manual, 5th edition. Our custom designed lab kit will help your student apply what they learned in the Abeka Biology course, 5th edition, through interactive, hands-on experiences. Expand the 'Contents' tab below for a complete list of included items.
Use Abeka Biology Field and Laboratory Manual and our custom designed lab kit to:
- Explore the areas of botany, zoology, anatomy, and physiology
- Develop critical thinking and problem solving skills through factual knowledge and processes
- Study nature and discover how science supports the belief that the universe has a Divine Creator
- Be responsible stewards of the earth by learning to manage, tend, and conserve resources
With this kit, the student will engage in these hands-on activities:
- Dissections of fetal pig, frog, perch, grasshopper, and more!
- Study roots and stems with a microscope
- Test foods for the presence of sugar, starch, proteins, and lipids to determine the nutrient content
- Grow freshwater invertebrates and study the living organisms under a microscope
- and so much more!
Please note: Materials not included for extension labs or projects.
Purchase our best selling Home Microscope to complete the microscope specific labs in this course. You can also check out our Selecting a Microscope guide for further help and insight when choosing a microscope that best meets your family's needs!
Abeka® and Abeka Book® are registered trademarks of Pensacola Christian College, Inc. (PCC). Home Science Tools is not affiliated with Abeka Book or Pensacola Christian College, Inc. (PCC).
HST Specimen Guarantee
In sealed, original packaging, our preserved specimens are guaranteed to remain fully preserved and free of decay for 12 months from the date of purchase.
Once the original package is opened, use specimen within one month. For best results, observe the following storage procedures:
- Store specimen in heavy-duty, zip-lock bags to minimize drying between dissections.
- Specimen will slowly dry out or become contaminated in zip-lock bags; add a teaspoon of Specimen Holding Fluid to retain moisture.
- Freezing or refrigeration is not necessary and may damage fragile tissues.
Specimens are initially preserved with a formaldehyde solution, the best animal tissue fixative. The formaldehyde is then displaced first with water and finally with a glycol solution to produce a moist, low-fume specimen which will not decay over time.
MORE INFORMATION BOX
Items included in the kit:
- 1 2,6-Dichloroindophenol (Indophenol), 0.5g
- 1 Alcohol lamp
- 1 Alcohol lamp stand
- 1 Ascorbic Acid, 5g
- 1 Basic microscope slide set
- 1 Beaker, glass, 600mL
- 1 Benedict's Solution, 100mL
- 1 Biuret Reagent, 30mL
- 5 Bottle, 250mL
- 5 Card stock sheet
- 10 Cardboard sheet, 9in x 12in
- 1 Crustacean dry eggs packet
- 1 Dextrose (glucose), 30g
- 1 Dissecting tools set
- 1 Dissection pan
- 1 Fabric sample, cotton
- 1 Fabric sample, polyester
- 1 Fabric sample, wool
- 1 Gelatin packet
- 10 Graduated cup
- 1 Graduated cylinder, 50mL
- 10 Index card
- 1 Iodine (Lugol's) Biological Stain Solution, 30mL
- 1 Lab apron
- 1 Magnifying glass
- 5 Medicine dropper
- 1 Methyl Cellulose, 1.5%, 30 mL
- 1 Methylene Blue, 1%, 30mL
- Microscope slides:
- 1 Allium (onion) root tip microscope slide
- 1 Cartilage microscope slide, hyaline
- 1 Cyclops microscope slide
- 1 Daphnia (crustacean) microscope slide
- 1 Desmids (green algae) microscope slide
- 1 Diatoms microscope slide, mixed
- 1 Ficus (dicot) leaf microscope slide
- 1 Human blood microscope slide, Wright's stain
- 1 Human bone microscope slide, ground
- 1 Human skin microscope slide with hair follicles
- 1 Human skin microscope slide, sweat gland
- 1 Human stratified squamous epithelium microscope slide
- 1 Motor nerve endings and plates microscope slide
- 1 Muscle microscope slide, 3 types
- 1 Neuron, motor endings, microscope slide
- 1 Protozoa mixed microscope slide
- 1 Ranunculus (Buttercup) stem microscope slide
- 1 Rotifers microscope slide
- 1 Spirogyra, green algae, microscope slide
- 1 Tilia (Basswood) microscope slide
- 1 Volvox (green slide) microscope slide
- 1 Vorticella microscope slide
- 1 Zea Mays (Corn) microscope slide, stem
- 10 Newsprint sheet
- 10 Nitrile gloves, size medium
- 2 Petri dish
- Preserved specimens:
- 1 Crayfish preserved specimen
- 1 Earthworm preserved specimen
- 1 Fetal pig preserved specimen
- 1 Frog preserved specimen
- 1 Grasshopper preserved specimen
- 1 Mammal brain specimen
- 1 Mammal heart preserved specimen
- 1 Perch preserved specimen
- 1 Starfish preserved specimen
- 1 Protozoa Culture Kit
- 1 Reflex hammer
- 1 Scale
- 1 Seeds packet, baby lima bean
- 1 Seeds packet, radish
- 5 Sheet protector
- 1 Starch, water soluble, 30g
- 1 Stirring rod
- 1 String, 25ft
- 1 Test tube brush
- 2 Test tube clamp
- 1 Test tube rack
- 18 Test tube, 16mm x 150mm
- 1 Wax pencil
- 10 Weighing boats
- 2 Wooden skewer
Other items needed:
Additional information from Home Science Tools:
- The products in this kit are intended for parent/teacher use to complete curriculum lab activities with students.
- Some items are not designed for or intended primarily for children ages 12 and under.
- Some materials and many chemicals we provide are dangerous and may be harmful if misused. With your purchase, you are assuming all responsibility for any injuries or damages resulting from the storage, use, and disposal of all materials and chemicals.
- Some products may differ from the web image (such as clay, food coloring, etc.)
- While our kits conveniently contain most of the items you'll need to complete the labs, they do not include some common household items or more expensive items like microscopes and live cultures.
We guarantee that you will be happy with every purchase from HST. All products are covered by our 90-day money-back guarantee.