Our best photosynthesis kit yet!
This Algae Bead Photosynthesis Science Kit is an exceptional educational tool for teaching both regular and AP Biology. It uses immobilized, live algae to give students a first-hand, engaging visualization of photosynthetic and cellular respiration reactions.
Through a series of hands-on activities, students will use this Algae Bead Photosynthesis Kit to learn:
- how to articulate that photosynthesis results in the cycling of matter and energy (into and out of organisms in ecosystems) as part of the global carbon cycle;
- that photosynthetic organisms require energy and CO2 to survive, and that they convert these to "food molecules" and oxygen;
- that when photosynthetic species are consumed by other organisms, these "food molecules" can feed complex food webs.
This Algae Bead Photosynthesis kit includes pre-prepared algae (Chlorella vulgaris) immobilized in small polymeric "beads" that are shipped separately (for free!).
More About the Algae Beads:
We include these practical algae beads so you don't have to hassle with growing your own algae! These algae beads are active for at least 1 - 2 weeks, allowing you to enjoy days of experimentation.
Using this Algae Bead Photosynthesis kit, students will explore, engage, and inquire though 3 activities, including:
- Exploring how the intensity of light impacts photosynthesis and cellular respiration in living, immobilized algae beads
- A thought experiment in which students will explain the carbon and energy balance behind a blue whale food chain
- Demonstrating how the concentration or abundance of algae in an ecosystem can impact that rate of carbon and energy utilization, as well as exploring the impact on the system
Looking for a classroom-sized kit for your Biology or AP Biology class? Check out our Algae Bead Photosynthesis Classroom Kit!
This Algae Bead Photosynthesis Science Kit Contains:
- 10 Pack of Algae Beads (shipped separately)
- 1 Fluorescent Bulb, 15 Watt
- 1 Bulb Socket with Extension Cord
- 1 Ruler
- 2 Pack of 1ml Pipets
- 20+ Page, Full-Color Teacher's Guide Student Worksheet Lab Manual
Also Required (but not included): Scissors
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More