Teach about barn owls and what foods they like to eat as your students dissect real owl pellets! This complete kit for your classroom includes materials for 30 students (working in pairs) plus a six-page teacher's guide with information on food webs and habitats, the unique anatomy of a barn owl, and more.
This classroom owl pellet study kit includes 15 large owl pellets (1.5" or larger) and 30 student worksheets with full dissection instructions as well as a diagram of a rodent skeleton to help identify bones. The teacher's guide has background information, additional ideas for classroom activities, and includes two additional reproducible worksheets: a food web chart and a dichotomous key for skull identification. The owl pellets in this kit are foil wrapped and dry heat sterilized for classroom safety.
Safety Information: The owl pellets in this kit have been dry heat sterilized for a minimum of 4 hours at 250°F to kill the bacteria and viruses that are naturally present. Even so, we highly recommend that you follow these guidelines when working with owl pellets:
- Work in a place separate from eating and food preparation areas.
- Use disposable latex gloves or nitrile gloves during the dissection and cleanup.
- Use a disposable tray or plate to contain the owl pellet during dissection. Do not dissect directly on desks or table tops.
- Use only dissection tools provided. Do not let children use pencils or other personal items for dissection. Kids like to use our economical plastic forceps to take apart the owl pellet.
- Use a sanitizer with paper towels or disposable sanitizing wipes to thoroughly wash hands, work areas, and any dissection tools when finished. Household bleach in a 1:10 solution can be used as a sanitizer.
- Make sure everyone thoroughly washes their hands with soap and water after the dissection and cleanup.
MORE INFORMATION BOX
Owl Pellet Study Kit for Classrooms
- 15 large owl pellets, 1.5" or larger
- 30 wooden probes
- 15 plastic forceps
- 30 student worksheets with instructions and bone identification chart
- Teacher's guide that includes two additional reproducible worksheets
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More