Investigating owl pellets is an extremely popular science activity for kids. And it's cheap! The owl pellets in this kit are ideal for a group of kids or for 5-10 students in a classroom. As you "dig in" to these, you'll discover what foods barn owls eat and you'll gain a hands-on understanding of food webs.
This kit includes a six-page teacher's guide with information on food webs and habitats, the unique anatomy of a barn owl, and three reproducible worksheets. Students can work individually or in pairs. You'll receive five small owl pellets (about 1.25" long), a teacher's guide, 10 wooden probes, and five student worksheets (reproducible for more students) with dissection instructions and a diagram of a rodent skeleton to help identify bones.
Even though these specimens are cheap, each of these owl pellets are wrapped in foil and heat sterilized so that you get good, safe quality for your kids.
You can purchase multiple kits based on the size of your classroom, or just order extra small owl pellets.
Safety Information: Our owl pellets have been dry heat sterilized for a minimum of 4 hours at 250°F to kill bacteria and viruses naturally present. Still, we highly recommend that you follow these guidelines when working with them:
- Work in a place separate from eating and food preparation areas.
- Use disposable latex gloves or nitrile gloves during the dissection and cleanup.
- Keep the pellet on a disposable tray or plate. Do not dissect directly on desks or table tops.
- Use only dissection tools provided. Don't let children use pencils or other personal items for dissection. Kids like to use our economical plastic forceps to take apart the owl pellet.
- Use a sanitizer with paper towels or disposable sanitizing wipes to thoroughly wash hands, work areas, and any dissection tools when finished. Household bleach in a 1:10 solution can be used as a sanitizer.
- Make sure everyone thoroughly washes their hands with soap and water after the dissection and cleanup.
MORE INFORMATION BOX
Economy Owl Pellet Kit , 5-10 Student
Economy Owl Pellet Kit Contents
- 5 small owl pellets (about 1.25" long)
- 10 wooden probes
- 5 student worksheets
- teacher's guide
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More