Explore the nanoscopic world with the Thames & Kosmos Nanotechnology Experiment Kit - an engaging introduction to the cutting-edge world of nanotechnology and how it is being used to improve our lives.
The science of nanotechnology deals with the smallest structures, in the range of one to 100 nanometers (which are one BILLIONTH of a meter) in size. In fact, some of the biggest scientific breakthroughs in recent years have involved these very small structures that we call nanoparticles!
Nanoparticles can be made of different materials and they come in a wide variety of forms. They can be applied to the surfaces of objects for improvements or added to/mixed in with items to enhance their performance.
Specific applications of nanoparticles include:
- anti-fog coatings on mirrors and lenses
- environmentally friendly coatings on ships to prevent algae growth (which reduces fuel consumption)
- UV protection components in skin lotions and sunscreens
- antibacterial coatings for medical devices
- self-cleaning house paint
- a delivery method for pharmaceuticals in the body
- water-repellent clothes
- materials to more effectively filter dirty water
As kids dive into this Thames & Kosmos Nanotechnology Kit, they will begin by conducting experiments that allow them to explore the size, scale, and orders of magnitude in the International System of Units - all to discover how small a nanometer truly is.
They will then dive into a hands-on exploration of nanoparticles as they:
- use filtering experiments to explore how charcoal is like a nanoscale sponge,
- conduct experiments with the hydrophilic (water-loving) and hydrophobic (water-hating) properties of different surfaces (which help them to better understand nanoscale properties),
- closely investigate exotic mixtures to learn about the nanoscopic particles suspended in them,
- shine a laser through a colloidal gold — a suspension of nanoscale particles of gold,
- learn about the electromagnetic spectrum, laser light, electron microscopy, and atomic force microscopy to explore how nanomaterials can be made visible,
- experiment with a special material that mimics the nanostructures on a gecko’s footpads that allow it to climb straight up a vertical pane of glass with ease,
- and more!
This Thames & Kosmos Nanotechnology Kit reveals how science is used in everyday life and helps spark an interest in chemistry. Includes more than 60 pieces, plus a full-color, 72-page manual. You provide some common household items.
MORE INFORMATION BOX
The Nanotechnology Experiment Kit Contains:
- 60 pieces, including real nanomaterials such as Lotus-leaf coating and colloidal gold
- 41 science experiments
- 72-page, easy-to-use manual
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More