Good to Glow: Atomic Structure and Chemical Reactions is a Launch level Science Unlocked curriculum kit. Shine bright with this chemistry kit to learn how chemical compounds react and how chemical bonding is based on atomic structure. Conduct flame tests on the reactants and products of reactions, observe candles with colored flames to learn about atomic structure, use the periodic table to predict the properties and bonding of chemical compounds, find out what happens to glow sticks in hot and cold water (and why), and test the effect of solution strength on the speed of a metal replacement reaction.
"Good to Glow" comes with a full-color Student Workbook and detailed Teacher Guide. It is a phenomenon-based approach, designed to fully engage students in the science of chemical reactions. Through a series of experiments, students will learn why reactions happen and how to explain them using the periodic table. As part of a special program from Home Science Tools, this Launch level kit will provide over 18 hours of engaging instruction, helping your student gain knowledge and confidence while doing real science.
In this kit, the student will do these activities and more:
- Observe the flame colors produced by two burning powders before and after a reaction
- Use a model of the atom to explain different flame colors of candles
- Learn how to use the periodic table to predict the properties of elements and the results of bonding
- Use glowsticks to discuss reactions and predict their products
- Make solutions of copper sulfate and find out how they react with aluminum foil
- What is the structure of atoms like?
- How do chemical reactions happen?
- Why do some chemical reactions produce light and heat?
- How does chemical bonding happen?
- Why do many reactions take place in solution?
Our Good to Glow kit is a part of the Science Unlocked Launch series and is recommended for grades 8-12.
This kit contains:
- Aluminum foil, 9'' X 10'' (x 2)
- ColorFlame candles, pack of 6
- Copper (II) sulfate, 30 g
- Filter paper
- Glow sticks (x 2)
- Measuring scoop, 0.15 mL
- Measuring scoop, 5 mL
- Paper clips
- Plastic beaker, 250 mL
- Salt packet, 0.6 g (x 2)
- Strontium chloride, crystals, 30 g
- Tea light candle
- Wooden splints
You will also need:
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More