Make the connection between the structure and function of devices and materials and answer questions like, "How do large structures use small pieces to work?", "What is matter made of?", and "How can we describe materials?" In this kit, students will study the connection between structure and function at both the microscopic and visible levels with activities like using conductive dough, building a toy car, modeling atoms and molecules, and using small pieces to make a bridge with a light.
"Parts In Place" is a Wonder level Science Unlocked curriculum kit. It comes with a full-color Student Curriculum Workbook and a detailed Teacher Guide. It is a phenomenon-based approach, designed to fully engage students in the topic of structure and function in chemistry. Through a series of experiments, students will gain an understanding of how structure and function are closely connected and how large structures are made from smaller pieces like molecules are made from atoms. This Wonder level kit will provide over 7 hours of learning, introducing your student to important foundational chemistry concepts.
The student will engage in these exciting activities:
- Use modeling dough as part of a structure that lights up
- Make a toy car with working headlights
- Mix up two kinds of dough and test their properties
- Learn about the smallest pieces of matter
- Make a bridge out of smaller parts that work together
Use "Parts In Place" to answer questions such as:
- How do small pieces help large structures function?
- How are materials the same and different?
- What is the reason for different properties of materials?
- How can small pieces be used to build a larger structure for a specific purpose?
- Why are material properties important in structures?
- What are atoms and molecules, and how do they affect material properties?
Our Parts in Place kit is a part of the Science Unlocked Wonder series and is recommended for grades K-2.
Having trouble deciding which Science Unlocked curriculum is right for your student? Let us help you pick your kits! Simply take our Science Unlocked quiz to discover which kits we recommend for you and your student. Science Unlocked is uniquely designed to accommodate all levels of learning. There's a kit for everyone!
Interested in learning more? Check out our Student Workbook Sample and Teacher Guide Sample!
This kit contains:
- 1 Battery, 9-volt
- 1 Battery cap
- 4 Black plastic wheels
- 6 Chenille stems, yellow
- 1 Dowel, 1/8-inch wide X 12 inches long
- 1 Flour, 1-lb bag
- 2 LED bulbs, white
- 2 LED bulbs, yellow
- 1 Modeling dough, pack of 4
- 2 Plastic cups with markings
- 6 Salt packets
- 12 Straws, large size neon assorted
- 3 Sugar packets
- 1 Tongue depressor, pack of 10
You will need to supply:
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More