Hot and cold temperatures are so much more than how your skin feels when you step outside. The Science Unlocked Hot and Cold curriculum kit is an exciting hands-on STEM activity experience for young scientists to explore basic weather science experiments!
Using the full-color student workbook and robust teacher guide, students will walk through several science activities including the process of making their own thermometer and performing experiments to learn about temperature, heat energy, expansion and contraction, reversible and irreversible changes, and experimental design. The student curriculum workbook and teacher guide provide detailed, step-by-step instructions for conducting the experiments. They also provide rich background information, a guide for designing your own temperature experiment, formative assessment, and more!
The student experience is inquiry-based, meaning learners will practice their skills of observation, experimentation, problem-solving, analysis, evaluation, and reflection - skills that real-life scientists and engineers use! This kit will take just minutes to set up but provides six hours (or more!) of learning, temperature science experiments, and fun. Both the teacher and student can jump right in and follow the student curriculum workbook and teacher guide, or create a custom schedule with our guidance to fit their specific needs!
In this kit, the student will engage in these fun activities:
- Make a thermometer from a bottle, a straw, clay, and isopropyl alcohol
- Calibrate the DIY thermometer the same way the inventor of the Celsius scale did
- Make gelatin two different ways to observe reversible and irreversible temperature changes
- Use the DIY thermometer and the included standard thermometer to explore questions about temperature using an experiment they design
- Check their understanding with a vocabulary-based crossword and a performance assessment that has them interpret experimental results
- Go further with several suggestions for extending the learning, including suggestions for additional experiments and avenues for extended research
Use the Science Unlocked Hot and Cold lab curriculum kit to answer questions such as:
- What is temperature? How does a thermometer work?
- What are examples of reversible and irreversible temperature changes?
- What is a scientific experiment? And more!
With this kit, your young meteorologist will learn how temperature affects air pressure, model different temperatures in hot water versus cold water with their own thermometer, see convection currents in action, and more! Students will learn the basics of performing an experiment and may even discover their next science fair project!Our Hot and Cold kit is a part of the Science Unlocked Wonder series and is recommended for grades K-2.
Having trouble deciding which Science Unlocked curriculum is right for your student? Let us help you pick your kits! Simply take our Science Unlocked quiz to discover which kits we recommend for you and your student. Science Unlocked is uniquely designed to accommodate all levels of learning. There's a kit for everyone!
This kit contains:
- 30 mL Isopropyl alcohol
- 30 mL Plastic dropping bottle with cap
- 1 clear Drinking straw
- 1 oz Modeling clay
- 1 Bottle food coloring (color may vary)
- 1 Disposable plastic pipet
- 1 Gelatin packet
- 4 Foam cups
- 1 Piece black construction paper
- 1 Piece white construction paper
- 1 Piece aluminum foil
- 1 Student thermometer
- Teacher Guide
- Student Worksheet
You will also need:
- Bowl (or large cup)
- Fork (or spoon)
- Pot (or microwave-safe cup)
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More