The Squishy Science Kit is an exciting Science Unlocked curriculum experience for young scientists and engineers!
Students can play with oobleck, slime, putty, and other squishy concoctions while learning about states of matter, physical properties, and the engineering design process!
The kit Includes a full-color student curriculum worksheet and a teacher guide, both with detailed, step-by-step instructions for making your own slime, rich background information, written exercises, a stress ball design challenge, and formative assessment. The student experience is inquiry-based, meaning learners will practice their skills of observation, experimentation, problem-solving, analysis, evaluation, and reflection - skills that real-life scientists and engineers must have! This kit will take just minutes to set up but provides for six hours (or more!) of learning and fun. Both the teacher and student can jump right in and simply follow the student worksheet and teacher guide.
In this kit, the student will engage in these fun activities:
- Make oobleck to study states of matter and physical properties of matter
- Make "stretchy" slime, "crunchy" slime, and "fluffy" slime and compare their properties to the slime, putty, and modeling dough provided in the kit
- Use physical properties of the squishy materials to make a stress ball
- Check their understanding with a Claim-Evidence-Reasoning (rubric included!) and a quiz (answer key included!)
- Dig deeper with several suggestions for extending the learning, including three more slime recipes that can be made with common household items
This kit comes with a Teachers Guide and reproducible Student Curriculum Worksheet. Use this squishy science lab kit to answer questions such as:
- What is matter?
- What are solids, liquids, and gases like?
- Why is oobleck so strange?
- What are the physical properties of squishy and slimy materials?
- How are designs based on physical properties of materials? And more!
Our Squishy Science kit is a part of the Science Unlocked Wonder series and is recommended for grades K-2.
Having trouble deciding which Science Unlocked curriculum is right for your student? Let us help you pick your kits! Simply take our Science Unlocked quiz to discover which kits we recommend for you and your student. Science Unlocked is uniquely designed to accommodate all levels of learning. There's a kit for everyone!
- Plastic flask of slime
- 2 oz modeling dough
- 1 oz scented putty
- 1 lb cornstarch
- 4 oz school glue
- 1 cup polystyrene beads
- 15 mL dishwashing soap
- 4 balloons
- 4 plastic cups
- 80 mm plastic funnel
- plastic stir rod
- Teacher Guide
- Student Worksheet
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More