Learn about what happens when the temperature drops and watch your students curiosity heat up! From Brrr to Burrow uses examples from organisms to help students solve problems in a relatable way. How do animals maintain their body heat and conserve energy in freezing temperatures? Did you know there are many ways animals can keep their body temperature the same? From Brrr to Burrow is a Science Unlocked Wonder level curriculum kit that is an exploration into thermoregulation for your budding biologist!
In this kit, your student will determine how animals stay warm in cold weather. Students will also discover why animals can live in extreme Antarctic regions of the world. They will finish by designing solutions to the human problem of being too cold by mimicking animals. From Brrr to Burrow comes with a full-color Student Curriculum Workbook and helpful Teacher Guide. An inquiry-based approach fully engages students in the phenomenon of thermoregulation. Step-by-step instructions for all activities allow students independence in their learning, allowing teachers to assist rather than direct learning. This Wonder level kit will provide over 6 hours of learning, educating your student in the phenomenon of thermoregulation.
In this kit, the student will engage in these fun activities:
- Discover how body weight and a fat layer (or blubber) slows heat loss and acts as insulators to arctic animals, particularly when they are in cold water
- Read about winter coats and how they provide warmth to artic animals such as polar bears and artic foxes
- Determine the best shape and size for animals in cold climates and other habitats
- Assess how soil acts as insulation for burrowing species
- Design your own solution to the human problem of being too cold
Use "From Brrr to Burrow" to answer questions such as:
- How do animals stay warm in the winter?
- What is the difference between endotherms and ectotherms?
- Are animals perfectly suited to their environments?
- What is important about an animal's home?
- Do humans mimic animals? If so, how?
This kit is bound to spark curiosity and get your student thinking about icy water and the importance of a thick layer of fat to keep different animals warm in the extreme cold and winter months. Animals do more than huddle together to stay warm. Thick fur and a layer of blubber can go a long way to protect them from ice water in the extreme cold and prevent frostbite.
Our From Brrr to Burrow kit is a part of the Science Unlocked Wonder series and is recommended for grades K-2.
Having trouble deciding which Science Unlocked curriculum is right for your student? Let us help you pick your kits! Simply take our Science Unlocked quiz to discover which kits we recommend for you and your student. Science Unlocked is uniquely designed to accommodate all levels of learning. There's a kit for everyone!
This kit contains:
- 4 4X6 bags
- 2 paper cups
- 2 rubber bands
- 2 thermometers
- Peat moss
- Petroleum jelly
You will also need:
- Large bowl
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More