Recognize and test how pH impacts the man-made and natural world. Raining on our Parade will help any young environmental scientist discover acid rain and ocean acidification, including the impact humans have in the occurrence of these two phenomena.
In this kit, students will test the pH of a variety of substances, corrode man-made and naturally occurring materials using mild acids, and model fossil fuel formation. Students will use these hands-on science experiments to delve into the phenomena of ocean acidification and acid rain.
Raining on our Parade comes with a full-color Student Workbook and Teacher Guide. This kit contains activities and information that focuses on the phenomenon of ocean acidification and acid rain.
As part of a special program from Home Science Tools, this Accelerate level kit will provide over 10 hours of learning, educating your student about ecological relationships and what that means for the environment.
In this kit, the student will partake in these fun activities:
- View changes to naturally occurring and man-made structures.
- Test the pH of substances all around them.
- Discover how acids corrode marble structures.
- Use pH to demonstrate the impact of acid rain and ocean acidification on our Earth.
- Make a model of fossil fuel formation to diver deeper into the root causes of acid rain and ocean acidification.
Use Raining on our Parade to answer questions such as:
- What is ocean acidification?
- What is acid rain?
- How does ocean acidification and acid rain affect the Earth?
- What is the role of human behavior on environmental impact?
The Raining on our Parade earth science curriculum kit is a part of the Science Unlocked Accelerate series and is recommended for elementary and middle school students in grades 5-7.
Interested in learning more? Check out our Student Workbook Sample and Teacher Guide Sample!
This kit contains:
- Aluminum pie plate, 5” diameter
- Clay, coarse powder, 1 lb
- 3 cups, 8 oz, plastic
- 2 cups, 16 oz, plastic
- 2 pairs of gloves
- Hydrochloric acid, 1 M, 100 mL
- 3 lids, plastic
- Marble powder, 4 oz
- Marker, black, permanent
- 3 paper clips
- Peat moss
- Pebbles, fine gravel, 1 lb
- pH papers, 1-14 range, 80 pack
- PVC pipe
- Safety glasses
- Sand, coarse, 4 oz
- 2 seashells
- Vinegar, 5% acetic acid solution
- 3 zip-close bags, 4” X 6”
On hand, you will want to have:
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More