If you experience the optical illusion of having a straight straw placed in a glass of liquid look bent, you are seeing physics in action! With the Sugar Measurement Laser kit, students can explore the physics of refraction (bent light) using a laser pointer and an acrylic prism. By lining up the included laser to bounce light through a hollow acrylic prism filled with sugary liquid, students will be able to see how light bends as it passes through the liquid. This kit is a great hands-on physics exploration with easy-to-see results that make concepts like refraction and Snell's Law far easier to understand.
Instructions for this kit are available online. See below for links to the instructions and more.
Additional items needed:
- Cardboard (a few small pieces; the flaps from the kit's cardboard box work well)
- Masking tape
- Tape measure
- Paper, 8.5 inches by 11 inches
- Piece of string (~ 4 feet)
- Kitchen scale
- Calculator with trigonometric functions (sine, arctangent); an online calculator is fine
NOTE: This product may be ineligible for some promotions.
MORE INFORMATION BOX
Instructions are NOT included with the kit, but are available online from Science Buddies.
If you have questions about your kit, please see the following FAQ article from Science Buddies:
Each Sugar Measurement Laser Kit contains:
- 1 Laser pointer
- 1 Hollow acrylic prism with a stopper
- 1 Funnel
- 1 Graduated cylinder, 100 mL
- 1 Stir rod, glass, 10 inches
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More