Learn the basics of titrants and titration while exploring vitamin C levels in fruits and vegetables!
What is titration?
Titration is a common lab technique used by chemists to measure the unknown amount of a chemical in a solution. With this orange juice titration kit, high school students will learn to do a titration while exploring the different vitamin C levels in fruits and vegetables!
This orange juice titration kit contains the specialty laboratory equipment (e.g., burette, graduated cylinders, flasks, etc.) needed for titration experiments, as well as the chemicals needed to do one of several Vitamin C-related science projects at Science Buddies.
- Do oranges lose or gain vitamin C after being picked?
- Do all orange juices have the same amount of Vitamin C?
- Does the Vitamin C in a fruit or vegetable change over time?
- How do different fruits and vegetables (like orange, potatoes, and bell peppers) compare in terms of Vitamin C?
Our scientists created this orange juice titration kit with just the right components, so you can focus your time on answering these questions and perfecting your chemistry skills. Conduct several titration experiments that put fruits, vegetables, fruit juice samples & more to the test; observing color change and other factors will help you identify and understand the science happening behind it all!
What will you need from home when titrating several fruits and vegetables?
Depending on the titration being done, masking tape, a permanent marker, orange juice, oranges and/or other produce are needed. Please consult the instructions for each project for a complete list of additional materials.
The various projects and instructions walk you through key chemical equations, the creation of vitamin C standard solution and starch indicator solution, and much more.
MORE INFORMATION BOX
Instructions are NOT included with the kit, but are available online from Science Buddies.
Each Orange Juice Titration Kit contains:
- 1 Cheesecloth, 18" x 18"
- 1 Vitamin C tablets (250 mg), pack/5
- 1 Goggles, Chemical Splash, ANSI Certified
- 1 Lab apron, rubberized
- 1 Lugol's iodine solution, 30 mL
- 1 Soluble starch, 30 g
- 1 Funnel, small, plastic
- 1 50 mL Graduated cylinder, poly
- 1 500 mL Graduated cylinder, poly
- 1 50 mL Erlenmeyer flask, glass
- 1 50 mL Burette, acrylic
- 1 Ring stand, 4x6 base, 18 inch rod
- 1 Buret clamp, Lincoln style
- 2 Droppers
- 1 Measuring scoop
- 2 Glass bottle, 8 oz, amber
- 1 Beaker, glass, 100 mL
- 2 Nitrile gloves, standard, pair
- 1 SDS sheet
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More