Complete multiple science experiments with this hands-on Veggie Power Battery Kit!
With this battery science kit, elementary (Grades 4+), middle, and high school students can build and explore two different types of batteries:
- A saltwater battery
- A simple battery using potatoes (or other produce of your choice)
There is no better way to learn how batteries work than by building one yourself! Online Science Buddies project instructions guide you through the building, so you can quickly dive into the science fun and begin learning all about batteries, voltage, electrical current, resistance, energy sources, electrical circuits, and more!
While there are many different types of batteries, all rely on a chemical reaction of some kind to generate electricity.
In Science Buddies' words: "The chemical reaction typically occurs between two pieces of metal, called electrodes, and a liquid or paste, called an electrolyte. It turns out that the moisture inside a potato works pretty well as an electrolyte, so you just need to add some metal electrodes to a potato, and you have a battery.......Yes, you can actually use fruits and vegetables as part of an electric power source!"
Making a veggie and fruit battery is possible, and it works! Pretty amazing, isn't it?
This Veggie Power Battery Kit is designed for DIY science projects, with:
- reusable electronic components that allow you to conduct multiple science experiments and/or build two different kinds of batteries
- oversized electrodes that maximize the amount of current generated by your battery, so you can easily compare results from each of your tests
- a quality multimeter so you can get accurate measurements of the power output produced by your battery
- new and improved instructions feature lots of images to guide you step-by-step through the building of the battery and how to capture readings using the multimeter included in the veggie power battery kit
We make it easy for you to get started, but what you decide to explore is up to you. Which produce makes the most power? How much power is created when the batteries are connected in series or in parallel? The possibilities are endless!
This kit is compatible with a number of different projects from Science Buddies. Please see our list of projects and instructions .
MORE INFORMATION BOX
Instructions are NOT included with the kit, but are available online from Science Buddies.
If you have questions about your kit, please see the following FAQ article from Science Buddies:
Each Veggie Power kit contains:
- 3 Copper electrodes
- 3 Zinc electrodes
- 6 Alligator clip leads
- 1 Digital multimeter with test leads
- 1 Piezoelectric buzzer
- 3 Super bright, high-efficiency red LED
- 1 1K ohm Resistor
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More