Transformers: Energy in Disguise is a Launch level Science Unlocked curriculum kit. It can't be created nor destroyed, but you can design, build, and test devices to convert energy from one form to another. Engage in memorable physics activities, including building a wind turbine, blowing over obstacles with light, and using a motor as a generator.
Transformers comes with a full-color Student Workbook and detailed Teacher Guide. It is a phenomenon-based approach, designed to fully engage students in the science of energy conversion. Through a series of experiments, students will learn why reactions happen and how to explain them using the periodic table. As part of a special program from Home Science Tools, this Launch level kit will provide over 15 hours of engaging instruction, helping your student gain knowledge and confidence while doing real science.
In this kit, the student will do these activities and more:
- Spark fun with steel wool and a battery.
- Use a simple design to understand energy transfer.
- Build a wind turbine and make it spin.
- Use mathematics to explain describable patterns.
- Blow over obstacles with light.
- Follow the engineering process to build the most efficient tool to turn on a light.
- Keep the physics fun going with a variety of optional extensions.
Use Transformers to answer questions such as:
- What is energy?
- How does energy work?
- What are the forms of energy?
- How does energy conversion impact society?
Our Transformers kit is a part of the Science Unlocked Launch series and is recommended for grades 8-12.
Having trouble deciding which Science Unlocked curriculum is right for your student? Let us help you pick your kits! Simply take our Science Unlocked quiz to discover which kits we recommend for you and your student. Science Unlocked is uniquely designed to accommodate all levels of learning. There's a kit for everyone!
This kit contains:
- 2 alligator clips
- Aluminum pie plate
- 2 bamboo skewers
- Battery, 9 volt
- 2 cardstock sheets
- 5 cups, paper
- DC motor, 0.5-6 volt
- Green LED bulb
- Masking tape
- Propeller, plastic
- Rubber bands, 1.4oz bag
- Solar cell, 0.5 volt
- 2 straws, clear plastic
- Steel wool
On hand, you will want to have:
- Fan (optional)
- Flashlight (can be a phone app)
- Heat source for boiling water
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More