With the Science Buddies Bacteria Discovery Kit, kids learn all about bacteria. Discover what they are, how they grow, the conditions that make them flourish, and the ones that make them perish.
Bacteria are weird. On the one hand, you want to take precautions with food prep to make sure their growth is inhibited. Like in the Minimizing Bacteria in the Thawing and Cooking of Meat project. On the other hand, some foods rely on live culture bacteria—and the more the merrier! Like in the Is That Really Bacteria Living in My Yogurt? project.
Instructions for this kit are available online. See below links to the instructions and more.
Use the Bacteria Discovery Kit with the following projects, found online at Science Buddies:
- Is That Really Bacteria Living in My Yogurt?
- Germ Invasion
- How Well Do Disinfectants Work?
- Minimizing Bacteria in the Thawing and Cooking of Meat
- How Do Food Preservatives Affect the Growth of Microorganisms
- Learn How to Disinfect Contaminated Water
- How do Bacteria Produce Power in a Microbial Fuel Cell
Please note: agar plates are non-refundable and cannot be cancelled once an order is placed.
Instructions are NOT included with the kit, but are available online from Science Buddies.
Science Buddies Bacteria Discovery Kit contents:
- 25 Nutrient-Agar-Prepared Culture Dishes
- 2 Pipets (medicine dropper)
- 4 Pairs of nitrile gloves, size medium
- 26 Sterile Swab Applicators
You will also need from home:
Depending on which projects you do, additional supplies, like water, a microbial fuel cell kit, rubbing alcohol, yogurt, household disinfectants, and more, may be needed. Please consult the instructions for each project for a complete list of additional materials.
My Science Perks is FREE! Just place your order while logged in to your Home Science Tools account and you'll automatically earn up to 6% back when your order ships!Learn More